Red Wine Poached Pears
A delicious winter dessert!
Ingredients (for 4 people)
- Cervi ripe pears 4
- Red wine 500 ml
- Sugar 100 g (3.53 oz)
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Starry anise 1
- Clove 6
- Peel the pears, leave the stem, and cut off the bottom so that they can stand on their base.
- Take a big pot where all the pears can fit with no much room between them. Thus, the liquid level will get higher to cover the fruits better.
- Pour the wine, sugar and spices. Cook over high heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Put the pears standing into the liquid.
- Cover the pot and cook over low heat for around 30 minutes, wetting the pears with wine (with the help of a spoon or, rather, a syringe) every 5 minutes.
- The cook time will depend on the size and variety of the pears. Whenever possible, introduce a stick up to the core, turn the heat off and leave the pears in the liquid until they are cold.
- Take the pears out of the pot and boil the syrup down over high heat until it is slightly thicker.
- Serve them hot or store them up to three days in an airtight container in the fridge.